Monday, May 29, 2017

Audiobook: Dark Lover by JR Ward

Image result for dark lover audiobook Read by Jim Frangione
Duration: 13 hours & 36 minutes


The first novel of J. R. Ward's New York Times bestselling Black Dagger Brotherhood series features a unique take on vampire lore and heavy doses of sensuality. The vampire Darius fears for the life of his half-breed daughter, who is unaware of her unusual destiny. To oversee her transformation, Darius seeks help from Wrath, a dangerous loner and the world's only purebred vampire.



My Thoughts: I first read this book years ago and I remembered loving it. I went on to read the next two books in the series and I couldn't wait to read the fourth book. But like I do with the majority of series, I always stop at the third book (I guess I'm a trilogy type of girl). However, the Black Dagger Brotherhood series kept calling out to me. I wanted to finish the it so I had to retrace my steps back to book one because...for the life of me, I could not remember what it was about! So instead, I decided to re-read the first book as an audio to help me remember what the series was about.


Listening to the book was entertaining. It was fun getting flashbacks as the story started making sense to me again. I found myself saying, "Oh yeah...he was blind," "Ooh, I remember him," "Aw, Butch! I love him!" etc...I was also reminded of the many things that I liked about the book and the series. I have to say, JR Ward does know how to write a good story! I highly enjoyed her interpretation of vampires and the names given to each male vampire. And the sex scenes...boy those were steamy! They sure sounded different when a male narrator read it.

Now talking about the narrator, Jim Frangione did an excellent job reading this book. He had a nice voice to listen to and he knew how to portray Wrath's character very well, especially Butch's. I was also surprised on how well he was able to read the female parts. He had a talent in making the book come to life. I hope he is the narrator for the following two books that I plan to listen to as well.
Going back to the story...My 20 year old self rated this book five stars, but my 30 year old self thinks differently now. Yes, it was an awesome book that had me hooked but my older self does not like a few things about it. What bothered me the most was the love between Beth and Wrath. I simply could not believe that they were in love; it had to be lust. For instance, the scene of Beth's and Wrath's first encounter had me shaking my head at the absurdity of it. I don't know about you but if a strange man broke into my house in the middle of the night, I will scream and call 911. I don't care how hot the stranger was. The insta-love between these two did not work for me. I guess life has made me see "love" a whole different way. lol

With that said, Dark Lover is a great start of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series even though the love between the main characters did not work well for me. However, I am highly looking forward to continuing with the rest of the series because I cannot wait to read the one with Butch. I rate it


 




This book counts towards the Audiobook Challenge. 

 2017 Audiobook Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment