Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Mini Reviews: Audiobooks...Al Capone & Finding Audrey


I have fallen behind on many reviews, so I am trying to catch up. Instead of writing full reviews on books that I have read weeks or months ago, I decided to give a quick thought on them instead. So here are two audios that I listened to that I actually liked:



Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko
Read by Kirby Heyborne
Duration: 6 hours and 9 minutes

*Listened to this book back in September*

I was not expecting to like this one as much as I did. I picked it up because I wanted to "read" a book for Banned Books Week. I am glad that I did.

I really enjoyed the main character Moose. This little boy had to put up with a lot: being the "man" of the house because the father was always at work and taking care of an older sister with a disability. He did his best trying to live a normal life at Alcatraz Island, such as trying to play baseball or trying to send a message to Al Capone. I highly admired Moose's strength, honesty, and his love for his sister. He was the type of character that many children should read about.

The reader, Kirby Heyborne, did a fantastic job in capturing all of the characters. I was able to visualize all of them very vividly. I rate this audio 4 stars.

                                      * * *

Image result for finding audrey audiobookFinding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella
Read by Gemma Whelan
Duration: 6 hours and 36 minutes

*Listened to this in July!*

This one was a fun book! It was my first Sophie Kinsella book and I was highly entertained. 

I absolutely enjoyed the characters for they made me chuckle many times. We have Audrey who had an anxiety disorder. Though I empathize with her, I could not help but giggle as she tried to live a regular life. Next, there was the mom. She was absolutely annoying and hilarious! The drastic things she did had me laughing so hard. And then there was Linus. Linus was supposed to be the love interest, but he too had smiling at the things he did for Audrey. 

I enjoyed having Gemma Whelan as the reader for this production. She knew how to bring the characters to life. My favorite had to be her portrayal of the mother. If it wasn't for her, I would have thought this book was simply another silly young adult novel, but instead, I found myself having a lot of fun with it. It made me look forward to other Sophie Kinsella books. 

I rate this audio 4 stars


What do you think of these books?

1 comment:

  1. I've only heard of the Sophie Kinsella book, as it's on my sister's "want" list for Christmas. I'm going to have to check out the other one as I'd never seen it before. I'm not a big audiobook person but I'm glad both narrators worked for you.
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete