Sunday, September 25, 2016

The Hunchback of Notre Dame Musical


Hello readers!

So this past Saturday, my brother and I decided to cross-off an item from our bucket list: to go see The Hunchback of Notre Dame! I've been wanting to see this musical since it premiered in Germany back in 1999. When I heard that it was playing at the La Mirada Theater for the Performing Arts (which was just a few minutes away from me), I knew that I had to jump at the chance to catch this production. And I am so glad that I did!!!

 Watch the trailer above for the highlights of the musical.



Photo Flash: THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME at La Mirada
The cast--bell ringing (Image from Broadwayworld.com)

This was such an amazing experience! The set, the music, the actors, the mood/tone of the story was just grand! I loved how it tried to stay true to Victor Hugo's classic (some of the lines were verbatim from the book) yet at the same time integrate Disney's wonderful music from the movie. And boy, I cried a few times!

Photo Flash: THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME at La Mirada
Phoebes, Esmeralda, & Quasimodo (Image from Broadwayworld.com)

You know what I loved best about this musical production? The inclusion of people with disabilities! The deaf actor John McGinty, played Quasimodo. It was beautiful to see how the musical integrated sign language along with the music. John's acting skills really helped personify who Quasimodo was. It was a wonderful experience!

I really hope that more musicals continue to add people of all skills to be included in these productions.

Honestly, there is so much to say about my experience with the musical but I have no words to explain it. I just hope that some of you have the opportunity to watch it! :)

The show will run until October 9th. If you are near the La Mirada area in California, make sure to catch this show!

http://www.lamiradatheatre.com/images/n_logo.jpg 
http://www.lamiradatheatre.com

No comments:

Post a Comment