Friday, July 29, 2016

Graphic Novel: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

A quick review :)
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51J37sdX7qL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
 When Jacob Portman was a boy, his grandfather regaled him with stories of his fantastic life at Miss Peregrine's home during the Second World War, even sharing photos of the remarkable children with whom he resided. As Jacob grew up, though, he decided that these photos were obvious fakes, simple forgeries designed to stir up his youthful imagination. Or were they...?

Following his grandfather's death - a scene Jacob literally couldn't believe with his own eyes - the sixteen-year-old boy embarks on a mission to disentangle fact from fiction in his grandfather's tall tales. But even his grandfather's elaborate yarns couldn't prepare Jacob for the eccentricities he will discover at Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children! 





My Thoughts: I read Ransom Riggs' Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children a few years ago. Now that the movie is coming out, I needed a refresher of the story. What better way than to read the graphic novel?

I don't always read graphic novels because I feel as if they are lacking a lot of the meat. This one, however, was well made. Yes, it left some parts from the original novel out, but the big ones where still there. I was enthralled the whole time on how much the graphic novel captured the original one. It almost felt as if I were reading MPHFPC for the very first time. 

The artwork was great too! It had beautiful illustrations that portrayed the story very well. I especially enjoyed the colors that were randomly chosen. Some of the panels were fully colored, others where black and white, while others were different hues of one color. This method helped with the tone of the book. I thought it was well put together.

This was a great graphic novel. It is perhaps now one of my favorite ones! The copy I read was from the library. I believe I need to add this to my permanent shelf. I rate it:

   

2 comments:

  1. I recently read the actual book with the photos and it really surprised me - great concept. Just finished the second book, Hollow City.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second book is next on my list. I just need to finish the three books I have going on right now so I can get started. :)

      Delete