Saturday, June 6, 2015

Audiobook: Bras & Broomsticks by Sarah Mlynowski

Here's a fun young adult audiobook:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51EQD7GJGQL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpgRead by Ariadne Meyers
Time: 8 hours 11 minutes


What if all your wishes could come true? Blink your eyes, drink a fizzing pink potion, and poof! Life is perfect. That's Rachel's situation. Except she's not the one who suddenly has magical powers. Her younger sister is. And as Rachel would tell you, spellbooks are wasted on the young!

Yes, yes, of course world peace and cures for horrible diseases are important. But so is dancing without looking like she's being electrocuted, winning back her best friend, stopping her dad's wedding, and finding a date for Spring Fling. Rachel's not bewitched. Yet. . .

Overdrive


My Thoughts: I read many mixed reviews about this book. The majority of adults complained that this book was immature. I have to agree, but I found it to be lots of fun. I was surprised on how much I enjoyed this book.

The story was cute and childish. The main character Rachel was 14 years old who was trying to find ways to fit into high school. Like any teen who has just began high school, they become egocentric, wish for absurd things, and complain for the silliest of things. Usually this would annoy me, but with a hint of magic it all balanced out. Luckily Rachel was not the one who received magic powers (chaos would have erupted), but her little sister did. It was funny how these two sisters interacted with each other, especially when trying to come up with different spells. 

As enjoyable as I found this to be, I do admit that I somewhat lost interest around three-fourths of the audio. Rachel's selfishness became tiresome that I began to zone her out for a few chapters. However, the story picked right back up at the end as Rachel began to realize the important things in life. 

Ariadne Meyers did a fabulous job narrating this book. If I would have read the physical book, I would have become irritated with the immaturity of it and probably would have stopped reading it. This audio, in the other hand, was well put together for Ms. Meyers knew how to sound like a teenager, knew how to exaggerate in the right parts, and was full of energy. She was able to keep me hooked the majority of the time and had me laughing at all the silly moments. 

As a whole, this was a great audiobook. I enjoyed the story for the most part, I loved that Rachel changed at the end, and the narrator was awesome. I am even contemplating in listening to the next book in the series. I rate it:

4-stars.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I just this as a "used book" for Ashley. We both like witchy books.
    I read something else she wrote and it was pretty good!

    ReplyDelete