Wednesday, June 11, 2014

China Dolls Book Presentation

http://www.rainydaybooks.com/files/rainyday/Lisa%20See%20Photo%20and%20Book%2006022014.jpg?1401763650 

On Friday, June 6th, I went with a dear friend of mine to see Lisa See's presentation on her newest book, China Dolls. We were quite excited to be going since my friend and I absolutely loved Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

After just buying our copies and on our way to the presentation


I very much love Ms. See's other works as well. When I heard that a new book of hers was coming out, I was psyched, especially after receiving an invitation from Ms. See to come to one of her presentations. I mean look at this synopsis:


  It’s 1938 in San Francisco: a world’s fair is preparing to open on Treasure Island, a war is brewing overseas, and the city is alive with possibilities. Grace, Helen, and Ruby, three young women from very different backgrounds, meet by chance at the exclusive and glamorous Forbidden City nightclub. Grace Lee, an American-born Chinese girl, has fled the Midwest with nothing but heartache, talent, and a pair of dancing shoes. Helen Fong lives with her extended family in Chinatown, where her traditional parents insist that she guard her reputation like a piece of jade. The stunning Ruby Tom challenges the boundaries of convention at every turn with her defiant attitude and no-holds-barred ambition.

The girls become fast friends, relying on one another through unexpected challenges and shifting fortunes. When their dark secrets are exposed and the invisible thread of fate binds them even tighter, they find the strength and resilience to reach for their dreams. But after the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor, paranoia and suspicion threaten to destroy their lives, and a shocking act of betrayal changes everything.

It was wonderful being able to hear the back story of her book. Listening to the interviews she made and all the research that Ms. See went through made me appreciate her even more as an author. I mean, we even came to learn how the drink Mai Tai got its name! She really loves what she does. 

Ms. See even gave us information on her current project, which I am highly looking forward to. My hint to you guys is that it deals with tea. Yup. Tea. I really love tea, by the way, so you could have imagined my reaction to this revelation.

 


 At the end, this was a very fun event. I've only been to book presentations at the LA Time's Festival of Books, so it was very neat to experience one being held at a bookstore. I need to do more of these.

Have you read China Dolls? Were you able to attend Lisa See's presentation?

3 comments:

  1. Nice! I love the cover of that book!
    That is a great picture of you with the author! Usually they turn out kind of cheesy but this one is nice!
    The book sounds real good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have another picture with Lisa See that was taken last year's Festival of Books. Not to brag but I looked great on that one but she looked very tired.

      Delete
  2. It is a action traveling through your post. I acquire bookmarked you to assay out new accepting from your side.
    wholesale Jewelry

    ReplyDelete