Monday, May 19, 2014

Audio Book: Again the Magic by Lisa Kleypas



Read by Rosalind Miles

Synopsis: She gave him her innocence . . .Lady Aline Marsden was brought up for one reason: to make an advantageous marriage to a member of her own class. Instead, she willingly gave her innocence to John McKenna, a servant on her father's estate. Their passionate transgression was unforgivable -- John was sent away, and Aline was left to live in the countryside . . . an exile from London society . . .and he took her love.

Now McKenna has made his fortune, and he has returned -- more boldly handsome and more mesmerizing than before. His ruthless plan is to take revenge on the woman who shattered his dreams of love. But the magic between them burns as bright as ever. And now he must decide whether to let vengeance take its toll . . . or risk everything for his first, and only, love.

My Thoughts: I think perhaps my favorite audios have to be Lisa Kleypas' books. Physically read or listened to, I've always enjoyed Kleypas' works. However, I find myself enjoying her stories a lot more when I listen to the audio productions because of Rosalind Miles, the reader. With Again the Magic, I was reminded why I love these audio books so much.

The love story of the characters was very enchanting. The backstory on how the two main characters, Aline and McKenna, met in their childhood was very riveting. I very much enjoyed how these two characters were childhood sweethearts and continued to love each other many years afterward even though they were separated. The secondary love story between Aline's sister Olivia and McKenna's business partner Gideon Shaw was the best. I enjoyed how they fell in love with each and their personalities were very entertaining. Lisa Kleypas really has the talent to create the best supporting characters.

However, as much as I loved the romantic relationships between the characters, I think I would have liked the main characters' relationship more if it wasn't for Aline. McKenna was the tragic hero whom you just want to hug and kiss. Aline on the other hand got on my nerves. Her insecurities towards her deformity were ridiculous. I wanted to shake her many times to snap out of it and make her tell McKenna the truth. I just couldn't understand how Aline would keep lying to him just to keep her "legs" a secret. This was the only drawback from the book.

This audio production would not have been the same without Rosalind Miles. She really knew how to bring the characters alive and make the situations very thrilling, including the sex scenes (which were many). Though reading the physical books were a lot of fun, I enjoyed listening to the audios because of Miles' British accent. It makes the story more realistic for me.

Overall, I very much liked this book. The love stories were adorable, the majority of the characters were fun, and the narrator was fantastic. I am highly looking forward to my next Lisa Kleypas book. I give it:

No comments:

Post a Comment