Monday, May 20, 2013

Audiobook: The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell


Read by Sarah Drew

Synopsis: The Carrie Diaries is the coming-of-age story of one of the most iconic characters of our generation.
Before Sex and the City, Carrie Bradshaw was a small-town girl who knew she wanted more. She's ready for real life to start, but first she must navigate her senior year of high school. Up until now, Carrie and her friends have been inseparable. Then Sebastian Kydd comes into the picture, and a friend's betrayal makes her question everything.
With an unforgettable cast of characters, The Carrie Diaries is the story of how a regular girl learns to think for herself and evolves into a sharp, insightful writer. Through adventures both audacious and poignant, we'll see what brings Carrie to her beloved New York City, where her new life begins.

My Thoughts: I've never really watched Sex and the City nor did I read the book. This audiobook was available on Overdrive and I figured, why not? I'm glad I got the chance to listen to this audio version because it was fun. I enjoyed the story and I especially enjoyed Carrie's character.

This was a typical coming-of-age story of a teenager girl back in the 80s. There's the drama, the obsession about boys, and of course sex. I highly enjoyed how realistic it sounded, even if there were a few parts that were exaggerated. Though having sex played a dominant role in the story, I liked the fact that there wasn't anything explicit since it was a YA read. However, I was a little shocked on how much smoking was done back then and how easily teens were able to get alcohol. It caused me to look up some facts to see when age limits were implemented. This factor was not disappointing of the book; it just opened up my eyes to teen lives in the 80s.

Now Carrie...she was such a great character! She was strong headed, brave, opinionated, courageous, loving, and strong. Teenage girls should get exposed to Carrie's character. Carrie was a strong will person who stood behind her virginity and did not let boys take her off her path to success. Of course she had many temptations like any other girl, but she kept her focus straight. Not many girls are able to do that. I admired her character so much that I now want to read Sex and the City and watch the series.

My thoughts on the performance: Sarah Drew did a fabulous job in portraying Carrie. She was able to embody Carrie's character very well and was able to keep me hooked in the whole time. The only flaw that I found with her performance was that she hardly changed her voice when acting like the other characters. It was sometimes confusing when there was dialogue between characters. Other than that, it was an enjoyable performance.

Overall, the audiobook was great. I liked the story and I liked the main character. I give it:



No comments:

Post a Comment