Sunday, December 9, 2012

H.P. Lovecraft Sundays #12


It's still Sunday over here in California and I still have time to share my H.P. Lovecraft readings :). Today, I mean, tonight I bring you two stories:

Image by Jason Thompson
"The Terrible Old Man"
3 stars

In a really big house in Water Street, there lives a very old man by himself who is very rich and feeble. This man has been very old for many years that no one in the town remembers him ever being young. He is left alone since he is pretty terrible.

Thinking that this old man is the perfect target, Ricci, Czaner, and Silva decide to rob the old man's treasure. They think that it will be very easy. So Ricci and Silva go in while Czaner waits in the car for them. The two men never come back.

This tale was very short but interesting. The old man is described talking to bottles that have pendelums inside, which respond to his talking. This act alone sounded very suspicious and sinister that the ending didn't shock me as much. The old man is a character that would be amazing if it were developed more.






Image by Jason Thompson
 "The Tree"
1 star

I'm going to be honest right away with this one: I did not fully understand it. All I got out of it was that there was a very old olive tree and two men who loved it. One of the men becomes really sick and decides to spend the rest of his life by the tree. But then something happens with the tree that ends both men's lives.

I tried reading it again but I kept zoning out and getting myself more confused. This is one tale that I'm not too fond of by H.P. Lovecraft.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Vonnie here's a Christmas book for you!
    Only .99
    Couldn't remember if you had a nook or Kindle

    nook - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-very-vampy-christmas-kerrelyn-sparks/1104655696?ean=9780062121127

    Kindle - http://www.amazon.com/Very-Vampy-Christmas-Sugarplums-ebook/dp/B005FG1HI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355149909&sr=8-1&keywords=A+Very+Vampy+Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have neither, lol. I do have the Nook app on my laptop though. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
    2. Ohhh ok I will have to remember that.
      Girl someone needs to get you one for Christmas!

      Delete
    3. I've been hinting that I want a Nook for the past two years. I guess I've been bad, lol.

      Delete